Safety Tips For Your Home
Ensure that you know where the following items are located:
- Emergency contact telephone numbers.
- Fire extinguishers and water hose pipes.
- Heating gas/fuel main shutoff valve.
- Main electrical disconnect circuit breaker (breaker box/service panel).
- Main drain line clean-out.
- Main water shut off valve.
- All window and door exits.
In addition to the above, carry out the following monthly safety checks:
Some of these items may have already be included in the home maintenance list, but these monthly safety checks are advisable for safety reasons:
- Test ground fault circuit interrupter receptacles (GFCI’s).
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, replace batteries if necessary.
- Inspect and lubricate (if necessary) all emergency exits, including windows and doors.
- Inspection of heating unit and water heater for visual integrity.
Home appliance estimated life spans:
- Dishwasher water valves: 3-7 years.
- Range and oven: 18-20 years.
- Garbage disposal: 10 years.
- Microwave: 10 years.
- Refrigerator: 18-20 years.
- Laundry washer: 14 years.
- Laundry drier: 14 years.
- Refrigerator/Freezer: 18-20 years.
- Central air conditioner system: 15 years.
- Window mounted air conditioning system: 8 years.
- Bathtub/Sink: 50 years.
- Garage door opener: 10 years.
- Laundry water fill hoses: 3-5 years.
- Trash compactor: 10 years.